The land formerly known as Four Pole Creek on the outskirts of town in Huntington, West Virginia, remained undeveloped after the city's incorporation. Residents hardly used the area due to the relatively remote location and the area's association with criminal activity. In 1908, city officials purchased fifty-five acres of land here with the intention of building an incinerator. Local businessman Charles Lloyd Ritter donated an additional twenty acres of land in exchange for having it turned into a municipal park instead. Ritter Park opened in 1913, but most of its development did not occur until the 1920s and 30s. The park helped promote Huntington as an attractive and prosperous city in the twentieth century. For over a century, Ritter Park has provided a place for residents to relax in beautiful scenery, exercise, and gather for community events ranging from outdoor theater to festivals. The park and surrounding neighborhood were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.