The faculty at the Medical College helped standardize medical practices, education, and the accreditation of medical schools. They also led the effort to establish the American Medical Association in 1847, which has grown to the largest organization of physicians in the country.
The school left the building 1913 and it became a school named the Richmond Academy. The school closed in 1926 and in the following decades a variety of organizations used the building. In 1987, the Medical College of Georgia Foundation bought and restored it, which included installing modern systems.