In 1869, Marsh went into business with his son, William, and formed M. Marsh and Son. Mifflin. The stogie makers were one of the first trades to unionize in Wheeling in 1869. Marsh remained the company president until his death in 1901, and then his son took over until 1920.
A good stogie roller could roll about 1,000 stogies a day, but with the mechanization of rolling cigars, the hand rolling soon became obsolete. In 1931, M. Marsh and Sons rented more than 40 machines, each producing more than 5,000 stogies a day. Women were hired, especially during World War II, as the operators of these machines. At the company's peak, the factory employed 600 workers. After the war, Marsh became the only large stogie manufacturer still in business. In 2001, National Cigar Corporation bought all of the brands owned by Marsh and the plant in Wheeling was closed as production was moved to Frankfort, Indiana.
The brand of Marsh Wheeling Stogies became a popular face of the tobacco industry. The Marsh Wheeling box has showed up in television shows and movies such as The Green Mile, Jaws, and Mad Men. Mifflin Marsh's tobacco empire was detrimental to the industrical success of Wheeling, and was elected to the Wheeling Hall of Fame in 1990.