The school was moved to it's permanent location in 1875, which was formerly a white school for the children living on the Wheeling Island and between Ninth and Twelfth Streets. This school was known as Second Ward School, and the name was changed to Lincoln School after the shift in students. This building was completely destroyed by a fire in 1892, and a new school was immediately constructed in the same location, and opened in 1893.
James Jones' brother, Flem, became Lincoln's principal in 1900, and the High School Department, Manual Training, and Domestic Science Departments were established under his administration. In 1914, Lincoln saw many improvements as the programs were expanded and improved so that more full time faculty could be hired, therefore more students enrolled. In 1943, Lincoln High School was once again revamped.
There are now 14 classrooms, including a model apartment with dining room, living room, kitchen and laundry; two large rooms rooms for industrial arts courses; a well-equipped library and science rooms. The large assembly room, where the opening exercises will be held, will seat 200 people. Plans call for the post-war addition of an auditorium and gymnasium. When the third floor and auditorium have been added, the old red building will be entirely eliminated, as space will be inadequate to take care of the entire colored school population. - Souvenir Program, Dedication of the New Lincoln High School, Wheeling, W. Va 19431
The school closed after desegregation, as the African American students were able to attend schools that were closer to their homes. The Lincoln High School building still remains today, and is home to the Ronald C. Mulholland Juvenile Center. This center is dedicated to serving youth who have been charged with law violations and also provides treatment and rehabilitation.