In 1856, the Cathedral Parish opened its doors as an elementary school. When the school opened, it was primarily an all boys school, and they were taught in the basement of the church. However, when the high school opened in 1897 in the same building, the elementary school was moved to the first floor of the new high school. The school became co-ed in 1923 and the high school changed its name to the Central Catholic High School. In 1960, the Central Catholic High School relocated to the building next door, leaving the elementary school the only occupants in the building.1 The elementary school was then renamed to the Wheeling Catholic Elementary School.
Wheeling Catholic Elementary School closed in 2011 with only 13 enrolled. The reason for its closure is reduction in enrollment due to demographic changes to the community. The remaining 13 students were transferred to other Catholic elementary schools in the area where the students would have a better quality education. The building remains vacant and there is no word yet on what the future holds for the building.