Columbia Museum of Art
Backstory and Context
The Columbia Museum of Art first opened in March 1950 on Bull and Senate Street in the historic Taylor House. The museum originally opened as an art, natural history, science museum, and planetarium, but soon began to focus only on art and disassociated with the natural history and science portions of the museum. After acquiring a European collection of Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque art pieces, the museum then expanded its collection by acquiring American and Asian pieces.
The museum moved to downtown Columbia in 1998 to a much larger space that included 20,000 square feet of gallery space, enough to house the museum’s collection of 7,000 objects, as well as art studies, an auditorium, and museum shop.