Ximenez-Fatio House Museum
The Ximenez-Fatio House is one of St. Augustine's most interesting buildings. First constructed in the late 1700s, the house is one of the city's best examples of the Second Spanish Colonial period (1783-1821; the first one began in 1513 and ended in 1763 when the British gained control of the Florida territory). In addition to its age, architecture and well-preserved condition, the house is also important for women's history. In the 19th century it became a boarding house managed by women who earned the respect of guests, many of whom were wealthy elites from the northeast, and the community. The house is named after the first owner and builder of the original section, Andres Ximenez, and the last owner, Louisa Fatio. The house is a museum and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It has been owned and operated by the The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America since 1939.
Backstory and Context
Tourism in Florida increased after the 1819 Adams-Onis Treaty between the U.S. and Spain, which resulted in Spain finally ceding Florida. The new state attracted people from all over which increased demand for lodging. Even though Florida was now an American state, the native Seminoles continued to resist and people fled to boarding houses such as this one to escape the violence that occurred.
"Our Story." Ximenez-Fatio House Museum. Accessed October 16, 2016. http://ximenezfatiohouse.org/our-story/#prettyPhoto.