Efforts to create the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial, which was completed and dedicated in 2007, date back to the early 1990s. The memorial stands between Browns Stadium and The Great Lakes Science Center and bears the names of the seventy-six firefighters who have died in the line of duty since the department formed in 1862.
The sculpture was designed by Luis Jimenez, who died during the fabrication of the sculpture. It was then completed by art director Rob Hartshorn, sculptor Ron Dewey, and painter Ralph Brussee. Though it is a memorial piece, it also serves to honor present and future firefighters.