The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) Jacksonville
With more than 1,000 pieces in its permanent collection, MOCA Jacksonville encompasses one of the largest collections of modern and contemporary art in the Southeast. Its collection includes paintings, installations, prints, sculpture, and photography. Artists represented include Hans Hofmann, Alexander Calder, Alex Katz, Robert Longo, and Helen Frankenthaler. The museum is located in the former Western Union Telegraph Building.
Backstory and Context
The museum was founded in 1924 as the Jacksonville Fine Arts Society and was located in the old Fleming Mansion. The name was changed to the Jacksonville Museum of Art in 1948. It eventually moved to the Koger Center in the 1960s and featured mostly Chinese antiques and Pre-Columbian artwork. The museum moved into the current building in 2003, after a few years of renovation. To better reflect the collection the museum adopted its current name in 2006.
"Permanent Collection." The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) Jacksonville. Accessed October 7, 2016. http://mocajacksonville.unf.edu/Permanent-Collection.