Established in 1892, Ebenezer Methodist Church was the city's first African American Methodist congregation. Today the building is home to the Greater Refuge Memorial Church, which was founded in 1976. The current church was built in 1922 in the Gothic style. The first structure was a wooden building. Greater Refuge bought the church in 1976 and had it renovated in 1990 after the city condemned the building. In 2005, hurricanes damaged the church and again the congregation had to make repairs over a period of 18 months (insurance would not pay for the repairs). The church was declared a city landmark in 2004.