Sanford Grammar School
Constructed in 1902, Sanford Grammar School operated for decade as a public school. It was originally established as Sanford High School and operated as such until 1911 when it became a grammar school. In 1984 the school was placed on the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural and educational significance. For a time, the building housed the Margaret K. Reynolds Student Museum. In 2012, the University of Central Florida operated the building as the Public History Center, where students could hone their history skills. UCF also continued to run the museum. Unfortunately, the building was forced to close in 2015 when UCF terminated its lease. Without the university, the city could no longer afford to keep the building open. As of April 2017, it is not clear what the status of the building is today.
Backstory and Context
Kruckemyer, Gene. "UCF to Establish Center for Public History at Museum." UCF Today. January 30, 2012. http://today.ucf.edu/ucf-to-establish-center-for-public-history-at-museum.
William R. Adams & Michael F. Zimny. "Sanford Grammar School." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 23, 1984. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/a1e5bdfb-145e-4a08-95e7-721f6cacb916.