The Craik-Patton House is an 1834 Greek Revival residence constructed by attorney James Craik in 1834. It was later purchased by George S. Patton, Civil War Confederate colonel and grandfather of the famous Gen. George S. Patton from World War II. The house was originally known as Elm Grove, and was built in downtown Charleston. The National Society of Colonial Dames in America saved the Craik-Patton house after it had been moved twice by placing it on this location in 1973.
The Craik family was a prominent family from the
Tidewater, Virginia area. Dr. James Craik was George Washington’s personal
physician for many years. His grandson, James Craik, was a wealthy lawyer who
ordered the construction of the Craik-Patton House in the Greek Revival style
in 1834. Craik was, at the time, studying to become a minister. James Craik
abandoned his law practice to become a rector at St. John’s Episcopal Church in
Craik and his family left Charleston and moved
to Kentucky to pursue his religious career. Craik sold the house to Isaac Reed
who owned it until 1858 when George Patton purchased the property for his
family. Patton would become a Confederate Colonel during the Civil War, and
lead a legendary detachment known as the Kanawha Riflemen against approaching
Federal forces as hostilities heated up in the Charleston area. He was wounded
severely at Scary Creek, but carried on fighting until he was killed at
Winchester in 1864. Patton's military legacy lived on, however. The legendary George
S. Patton of World War II was the grandson of Confederate Colonel Patton. Following the death of
Colonel George Patton, his widow Susan Patton sold the house to Andrew Hogue in 1865. The Hogue family owned the property for many years.
The house has been moved twice. It originally stood on a large downtown lot near the intersection of Dunbar and Virginia Streets before being moved to the 1300 block of Lee Street East in the early 1900s. By the early 1970s the house had fallen into disrepair and was in danger of being lost. Then, in 1974 it was saved and moved to its current location at the western edge of the former Daniel Boone Park just east of Charleston.