Mr. Getz began collecting firefighting apparatus after receiving the gift of a 1924 American la France fire engine from his wife on Christmas Day, 1955. This was the beginning of his collection.
The Getz family continues to support the goals of the Historical Fire Foundation, which are:
1. The collection, preservation and exhibit of objects relating to the history of firefighting;
2. Fire safety education; and,
3. the recognition of firefighters who have died in the line of duty, or who have been recognized for acts of heroism.
In 1970, the Getz's relocated to Scottsdale, Arizona, and the collection was moved here. In 1974 the Hall of Flame opened its present building in Phoenix's Papago Park adjacent to the Phoenix Zoo and Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
The Hall has grown from its original single gallery to five exhibit galleries, the National Firefighting Hall of Heroes, the museum store, a theater, a restoration shop, a collection storage building, and administrative offices.
The Hall's present size is 70,000 square feet, with 35,000 square feet of exhibit galleries. The collection has grown to over 130 wheeled pieces and thousands of smaller artifacts. Museum galleries are available to rent.