Allegany Area Historical Association
Backstory and Context
The former church that houses the association, was built in 1855 by the Methodist Episcopal Congregation, one of the earliest religious organizations in the area. The association, which now owns the building, has preserved much of this local landmark, to include the original pews and pulpit.
The association creates and displays various interpretive exhibits from its holdings, to include Civil War, antique instruments and local educational exhibits. It also curates extensive genealogical records and maintains microfilmed copies of the Allegany Citizen, a local newspaper which was published from 1896 through 1976.
Finally, the association sponsors various historical lectures and fundraisers throughout the year, to include its annual Christmas cookie sale and special events, such as its Allegany Central School Alumni Dinner and Dance. It also offers books, family histories and other research materials for sale.