Spokane County Jail
Backstory and Context
This jail structure was build when Cheney became the Spokane County seat in 1880. The jail, at 4th and E [College Ave] was located on the opposite corner from the courthouse.
The jail stayed in use until the City of Cheney built a new city hall and jail in 1890. The structure was purchased by William Sutton who moved it to his farm and used it as a chicken coop. Even after the old building was demolished the old jailhouse door could be found inside the Sutton barn for many years.