The building's interior and exterior have been well-preserved, offering residents a view of 19th century Victorian Romanesque and Italianate styles of architecture that were common in many public buildings constructed at the time. The most distinguishing feature of the building is its five story clock tower which is adjacent to a second three story tower on the southern side of the building. To the left of the clock tower and framed by the buildings various gabled roofs, parapets, stone arches and high windows is a stone arch over the main entrance which bears the word courthouse. The building originally had a tin roof, but that was replaced by aluminum in 1962 to reduce maintenance costs. A new addition completed in 1975 holds the sheriff's tax office, and offices of the county clerk and assessor's office.
Morgantown was initially settled by Zackquill Morgan in 1772, and was called Morgan's town. Morgantown was not incorporated until 1901, and is now home to West Virginia University.