In 1871, the Soldiers' Monument Committee commissioned Rogers to design the memorial. The City of Worcester donated $35,000, and $15,000 was raised by various programs. The monument was dedicated on July 15, 1874.
The monument is approximately 66 feet tall and the base is 24 feet square. Reconstruction was done on the monument in 1969 burying the granite base causing the monument to lose 4 feet of its height.