Arizona Museum of Natural History
The Arizona Museum of Natural History tells the story of the natural and cultural history of the American Southwest through many different exhibits and workshops. Beginning with Arizona's Paleozoic era, guests walk through the Southwest's visible timeline through museum exhibits. Visitors can take a walk through the Dinosaur Hall to understand more about these giant creatures that roamed the Earth 4.5 billion years ago. Afterwards, guests can visit the southwest galleries to explore the ancient cultures of Mexico and learn more about the history of Arizona.
The Arizona Museum of Natural History was established in 1977. The building itself was constructed in 1937.
Backstory and Context
The Arizona Museum of Natural History was founded in 1977 and is owned and operated by the City of Mesa. Dating back to 1937, the building that houses the museum was used for a variety of City of Mesa departments. The museum underwent various renovations from 1983 to 2000, and now is 80,000 square feet in size. In 1995 a research facility was added to the museum for use by the Southwest Paleontology and Archaeology teams.
Welcome to AzMNH
- Native Peoples of the Past
(Paleoindians, Desert Cultures, Hohokam)
- Ancient Cultures of Mexico
- Early Cultures of Central America
- Classic Maya
- North Coast of Peru
1. "Arizona Museum of Natural History," Official website, accessed August 28, 2016. http://arizonamuseumofnaturalhistory.org
2. "For Educators," museum website, accessed September 3, 2016. http://arizonamuseumofnaturalhistory.org/for-educators
3. "Explore the Museum," museum website, accessed September 3, 2016. http://arizonamuseumofnaturalhistory.org/explore-the-museum
4. "Arizona Museum of Natural History," Family Days Out website, accessed September 3, 2016. http://www.familydaysout.com/attractions-usa/arizona-museum-of-natural-history
5. "AZMNH Staff Academic and Research Publications," museum website, accessed September 3, 2016. http://arizonamuseumofnaturalhistory.org/explore-the-museum/azmnh-staff-academic-and-research-public...
6. "Collections & Museum Library," museum website, accessed September 3, 2016. http://arizonamuseumofnaturalhistory.org/explore-the-museum/collections
7. "Arizona Museum of Natural History," featured on 'Visit Mesa' website, accessed August 28, 2016. http://www.visitmesa.com/listing/arizona-museum-of-natural-history/270/