Also known as the St. Petersburg Library, the Carnegie Library and the Mirror Lake Community Library, this 1915 library was one of ten Florida Libraries that came into existence by way of the Carnegie Libraries Grant that came from the Carnegie Corporation of New York between 1901-1917. This library is also known as St. Petersburg's first permanent home for a library.
From 1951 to 1997 many additions and renovations were made to the library to modernize it. By the end of the 1980s, the 1951 added wing was closed down for a better version of such a wing. Much of the 1915 architecture has been preserved.