S. H. Kress and Co. Building (St. Petersburg, Florida)
Located in downtown St. Petersburg, this "five and dime" department store was one of dozens of such stores found around the nation from the 1920s to the 1960s. This store in particular completed int 1927 and closed down in the 1960s after the Kress company was by Genesco Inc., who began liquidating most of the stores and moved to shopping malls. Abandoned for many years, the building is now home to various businesses and firms.
Backstory and Context