Jones High School, 1921-1950
Jones High School operated at this location between 1921 and 1950, when a new school was constructed and this building became an elementary school.
Backstory and Context
The first new school building for black students in Orlando opened in 1886 and became known as the Johnson Academy when its courses expanded to include classes for high school students. This school stood at the corner of Garland and Church Street. The school moved to this location in 1921 and became known as "Jones High School in honor of its principal who also donated this land. In 1952, the school moved again west of downtown to its current location on Rio Grande Avenue. In the early 2000s, the school then went through renovations to modernize the school.