Fort Culbertson was built along the New River adjacent to Joshua's Run in Culbertson's Bottom (now known as Crump's Bottom) in the summer of 1774 to provide protection to the settlers in that area from Indian attack. The fort was located in present day Summers County West Virginia upstream from Hinton, West Virginia.
Culbertson was a fort located on the New River along Joshua's Run in
Culbertson's Bottom (now known as Crump's Bottom) in present day Summers County
West Virginia upstream from Hinton, West Virginia. Fort Culbertson was
named after Andrew Culbertson who was one of the first people to settle
this area in 1753. The fort was also called Fort Byrd, Fort Field, and
Culbertson's Bottom Fort.
Today's Ohio River system was then the Western frontier. These were not
only Indian lands, but were also a major route of travel for Native Americans.
The Virginia frontier fort system was authorized by the Virginia Assembly
in March of 1756 to help protect the settlers that increasingly encroached
upon and settled these Indian lands. These forts were important
in the protection of the settlers in the Western frontier from Indian
Captain James Robertson and his men by order of Lieutenant Colonel William
Preston of Fincastle County Virginia at the onset of Lord Dunmore’s War built
the fort during the summer of 1774. Nothing remains of the fort, and it is
assumed the Indians burned it down after it was abandoned in 1778.
Today, there are no signs of Fort Culbertson, and its location is not exactly
known. It is very possible that its location is underwater as the area is
now part of Bluestone Lake. Below is a description of the archaeological
assignment of Fort Culbertson.
The remains of Culbertson's Fort and Farley's Fort have not been located. Ralph S. Solecki (1949:342) assigned archaeological site number 46SU23 to an area 400 feet from the mouth of Joshua's Run which he thought may have been the location of Culbertson's Fort. European artifacts were found in the area but no test excavations were ever undertaken. HISTORIC SITES IN CRUMPS BOTTOM, BLUESTONE RESERVATION Robert F. Maslowski and Jodi L. Woody https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/symposia/newriver-84/sec16.htmIn 1777, the fort, now known as Fort Field, was under the command of Montgomery County Militia Capt. John Lucas. In April and May 1778, the area around Fort Field was invaded by “several large Parties of the Enemy [Native Americans].” These raids led to the abandonment of this region by most settlers, and as Col. William Preston stated, “we are obliged to abandon the Posts at Culbertson [commanded by Captain Joseph Cloyd] and Island Creek.” Stephen and Kim McBride http://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/2410