Farley's Fort was a large log structure built by Thomas Farley between 1775 and 1776 to defend settlers against attacks by the Indians. Its location was near the New River above Bull Falls, and below Tom's Run in Culbertson's Bottom (now called Crump's Bottom) in present day Summers County West Virginia upstream from Hinton, West Virginia.
Farley's Fort was a large log structure built by Thomas Farley between 1775 and 1776 to defend settlers against attack by the Indians. Farley's Fort was said
to be built on a spot above Bull Falls around Warford and River Ridge
on the south side of the New River below Tom's Run. Warford was the name for a
ford across the New River used by Indian warriors. Farley's Fort was
located in Culbertson's Bottom, which is now called Crump's Bottom in present
day Summers County West Virginia upstream from Hinton, West Virginia.
There is a historical marker to Thomas Farley on Route 100 south of Pearisburg, Virginia in Giles County at the Farley Wayside beside Walker Creek. The historical marker was erected in 1944 by the George Pearis Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Nathaniel Green Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution.
James Caldwell, in
his Revolutionary War Pension Declaration, stated that Farley's (Farlow's) Fort
on Culbertson's Bottom was burned by the Indians in the spring of 1778 (Dorman
1968:47). Caldwell stated that during this time he had served under the command
of Captain Archibald Woods and they had spent fifteen days pursuing the hostile
Indians who burned the fort. HISTORIC SITES IN CRUMPS BOTTOM,
BLUESTONE RESERVATION Robert F. Maslowski and Jodi L. Woody https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/symposia/newriver-84/sec16.htm
Today's Ohio River system
was then the Western frontier. These were not only Indian lands, but were
also a major route of travel for Native Americans. The Virginia frontier
fort system was authorized by the Virginia Assembly in March of 1756 to help
protect the settlers that increasingly encroached upon and settled these
Indian lands. These forts were important in the protection of the
settlers in the Western frontier from Indian attack.
Today there are no signs of Farley's Fort, and its location is not exactly
known. It is very possible that its location is underwater as the area is
now part of Bluestone Lake. Below is a description of the archaeological
assignment of Farley's Fort.
Ralph S. Solecki assigned site number 46SU19 to an area
of Crump's Bottom opposite the mouth of Buffalo Creek, one mile east of
Warford, which he thought may have been the location of Farley's Fort. Again
European artifacts were collected but no test excavations were undertaken.
HISTORIC SITES IN CRUMPS BOTTOM, BLUESTONE RESERVATION Robert
F. Maslowski and Jodi L. Woody https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/symposia/newriver-84/sec16.htm