Adrian Public Library
Although the library branch dates back to 1868, its first independent library structure was completed in 1909. Funding came from a $27,500 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Library Fund in addition to $5,000 donated by the city. It was formally dedicated and opened on February 5, 1909 and was used as a school district library. After having several different private owners the library was given back to the city in 1915. The building is 2½ stories and built with a mix of Mission Revival Style, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. Illinois architect Paul O. Moratz designed the library, and it was completed by local contractor C. F. Matthes. Throughout its years as a public library, it also served as an art gallery and lecture auditorium.
Backstory and Context
The building now houses The Lenawee County Historical Museum. It features a varity of exhibits concering the history of Lenawee county. It also houses archives featuring Lenawee County History.