This building was constructed in 1924 and was intended to compete with the architecture across the street, the Odd Fellows Office Complex built in 1912. It's offices were home to many important black businesses, organizations, and professionals, including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Atlanta Urban League, and many African American doctors working in Atlanta. The gas station added on to the building was particularly ahead of its time, and later served as a police station.
The Atlanta Urban League located in the building from the 1920s to 1965 was a group focusing on social work founded by Lugenia Burns Hope. The Atlanta school of Social Work was also located in this building but moved to the Atlanta University Center Complex in 1930.
The Herndon building deteriorated since its heyday. In 2002 it was boarded up and severely in need of repairs. In 2008 it was hit by a massive tornado and was subsequently torn down. The Clio entry for the Herndon Home Museum in Atlanta can be found here: http://theclio.com/web/entry?id=1739