The Davis-Beard House, also known as Davis House or Glee Hall, is a historic home in Prince William County, Virginia, in the community of Bristow. Though the home has no specific date attached to its construction, it was built after the Civil War. On December 13th, 1988, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on November 9th, 1989, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. As of 1966, is was a home for Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Carter, who ran the home as an antique shop, as well.
Backstory and Context
Before the Civil War, the Davis family owned a substantial amount of land in Bristow, Virginia. Many properties were destroyed during the war, and as records indicate, the Davis family had portions of their property destroyed, as well, during the war. Upon returning, the Davis family worked tirelessly to rebuild their family home, and in the process adding a number of improvements to the home. Records indicate that the property was likely expanded in 1878, as well.
In 1891, the property was passed on to Robert Davis, who added a storefront to run the property as a general store and offer other services. Davis expanded the property once again in 1920 as well. In 1966, the property was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Carter, who ran the home as an antique shop and their private residence. On December 13th, 1988, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on November 9th, 1989, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.