Backstory and Context
Speculated to be as old as 1711, Moor Green only has documentation going as far back as 1793. The 1793 documentation reveals that in that year, the Bronough family deeded 482 acres of land to Howson Hooe. Hooe and his family are reported to have lived on the property for some time (until at least 1817), and in 1833, Hooe died, passing on the property to his son James. James died soon after his father in 1838, leaving the property to his sister Jane Hooe Reid Foster. Jane retained ownership of the land and presumable lived on it until her death in 1891, and it was eventually obtained by the Fletcher family.
The Fletcher family held on to Moor Green through the Great Depression, and in 1941, it was purchased by John Cox, and he and his family set about renovating the home. After both he and his wife had died by 1970, the property changed hands numerous times, was burned by vandals in 1984, and was subsequently restored by 1992. On July 18th, 1978, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on November 17th, 1978, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. As of 2015, the home has been refurbished and restored for use as a private residence.