Fleetwood Farm (known previously as Greenhill Plantation and Peggy’s Green) is a historic home in Loudoun County, Virginia. Thought to be built in 1775, the farmhouse is particularly notable for its construction using posts and beams for the time period in which it was built, when stone and brick were far more common. On December 12th, 1989, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on February 1st, 1991, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, Fleetwood Farm is still an active farm in Loudoun County.
Backstory and Context
The land Fleetwood Farm currently occupies was originally part of Fairfax County, Virginia in the 1740s. Loudoun County was formed in 1757, and due to some boundary overlap with the counties, the land was placed in Loudoun County, instead. As time passed, European colonists began to move into the region, and they came to Loudoun County in 1775. While Loudoun County as a whole was fertile land for colonists, the wealthier of those who had made the trip over were most attracted to the southeastern part of Loudoun County. One man that settled in the area was William Ellzey, who had been in the county since the first half of the eighteenth century. It is presumed that Ellzey built what would become in Fleetwood Farm in 1775. The farm stayed in the Ellzey family until 1806.
More recently, the Fleetwood Farm property gained a number of buildings and additions, some of which were made as recently as the 1960s. In 1968, the owners of the property constructed a wooden rectangular structure, which would go on to serve as a storage house for the farm. As of October of 1988, the home was owned by Mrs. Carol Chamberlin. On December 12th, 1989, Fleetwood Farm was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on February 1st, 1991, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, Fleetwood Farm is still a fully operational farm, and it continues to grow and sell produce in the Loudoun County area.