Red Fox Inn
Backstory and Context
During the development of the town of Middleburg, a man by the name of Rawleigh Chinn purchased a large tract of land that included Middleburg in its plot. Rawleigh set up a tavern in 1731 in order to serve those going through the town on the wagon trail, and the tavern was used for some time over the years. Rawleigh ended up leasing out land once the town developed more, and this included the lot with his tavern on it. Nobel Beveridge purchased that particular plot of land, and in 1825, he either added to the tavern hat was already there, or he completely tore it down and built a new tavern in its place.
The tavern and its plot of land continued to be sold over the years, and around 1900, it was named the Middleburg Inn. The area was hugely popular for fox hunting in the early 1900s, and in 1937, a group of investors bought the inn and renamed it the Red Fox Inn. From there, the building was greatly renovated, and it soon attracted wealthy clientele. On March 19th, 1997, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on November 13th, 1997, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the Red Fox Inn continues to function as an inn and tavern.