Rock Hill Farm
Backstory and Context
In 1797, Abner Humphrey built the house on the land of Rock Hill Farm. Abner owned a significant amount of slaves for the time, and coupled with his property owned, it is suggested that Humphrey and his family were farmers. Abner’s son Thomas purchased the land from him in 1821, and during his ownership of the land, very few, if any, changes were made to the property. Sometime after 1850, Thomas died, leaving the land to his wife, Phebe, who kept the land until she sold it in 1873 to A.G. Chamblin, her son-in-law.
The Rock Hill Farm would continue to be owned by the Humphrey family line of succession all the way through the 1800s and into the 1900s, during which times numerous renovations were done to the property, including the addition of an office, a shed, a stable, a garden, a family cemetery, and other amenities. In 1947, the property left the ownership of the Humphrey line of succession, and was sold to Reed and Margaret Thomas, under whom the land continued to prosper. On June 18th, 2009, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on August 27th, 2009, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.