The Glebe, also known as the Glebe of Fairfax Parish, is a historic home in Arlington, Virginia, notable for its octagonal wing. Built in 1815, it served as the glebe for Fairfax Parish, Virginia, and was purchased later by Caleb Cushing. On July 6th, 1971, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on February 23rd, 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. As of 2005, it has been placed under a program for conservation.
Backstory and Context
The Glebe House of Fairfax Parish has origins dating back to 1775. The original Glebe of Fairfax Parish was established as a 500-acre farm in order to support the Anglican church of the area. The Glebe of 1775 also included a Glebe House within it, but it is said to have burned down in 1808. A new Glebe House was constructed following the fire, and that part served as a base for the current Glebe House. The portion built in 1808 was added on to in 1815, and was considered the date of construction of the current Glebe House. Another addition was made to the house in the 1820s, adding a frame kitchen to the house. However, in 1850, another arguably more important addition to the house was made by way of an octagonal wing addition.
Years afterward, American diplomat Caleb Cushing bought the home, where he lived from 1870 until 1878. Presumably, the house was used as a residential home throughout the twentieth century. On July 6th, 1971, it was designated on the Virginia Landmark Register, and on February 23rd, 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. As of the time of the building’s NRHP nomination, it was still serving as a private residence, and was apparently well-cared for. In 2005, the building was placed under a conservation effort.