Broward County Customs House
Backstory and Context
Constructed in 1939, the former U.S. Customs House in Port Everglades, Florida, was built through the Federal Works Administration, with Louis Simon as the supervising architect and Neal Melick as the supervising engineer. The port is considered one of Hollywood founder Joseph Young’s greatest achievements. As Young envisioned, the port served as Florida’s most convenient deep-water harbor to Central America, South America, the Bahamas, and the West Indies. The one-story, concrete Mediterranean Revival style building, which housed the U.S. Customs Office for the Port of Ft. Lauderdale from 1939 to 1999, served as a clearance point for all vessels from foreign ports and the foreign registry. Standing vacant since 1999, the building was transferred to Broward County in 2001 through the Historic Surplus Property Program.