Punta Tuna Lighthouse
Backstory and Context
The Punta Tuna Lighthouse was constructed under Spanish Colonial rule as a third order lighthouse serving as the most southeastern primary light in Puerto Rico. The brick and stone structure is a onestory duplex with a centrally located octagonal tower. The design was drawn and laid out by Joaquin Gisbert in 1890 and construction was initially overseen by Adrian Duffaut. It was built between March 1891 and September 1893 with final construction by the Spanish Body of Engineers.
Originally named Faro de Mala Pascua after the Cape to the west, it was renamed after the planned site was relocated to Punta Tuna so the light could perform a double duty warning ships off the Sargent reef. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, the Punta Tuna Lighthouse was offered in 2012 to qualified government agencies and nonprofit organizations under the provisions of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act and was transferred to the Municipality of Maunabo.
Punta Tuna Lighthouse. Lighthouse Friends. n d. Accessed November 14, 2018. http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=1173.