Founded in 2004, the Stanlee & Gerald Rubin Center for the Visual Arts is an important cultural center in El Paso, serving as a place for cross-cultural dialogue and awareness among the surrounding area's 1.8 million people (this area is the largest bi-national urban environment in the country). Its location on the Mexican and American border is well suited for this interaction to take place. It is primarily a teaching institution, as it is a part of the University of Texas-El Paso. Since its opening in 2004, the center has hosted 75 contemporary art exhibitions, featuring artists from all over the world. The programming also includes lectures and workshops for families, high school and university students.
The center is located in a renovated building constructed in 1928. Before that its predecessors, the Main and Glass Galleries, operated from 1980-2004.