El Paso International Museum of Art
The El Paso International Museum of Art houses a fine art collection of Southwestern, African, Asian and Mexican art. It is located in one of El Paso's finest buildings, the historic Turney Mansion, which was built in 1910 and designed by architect Henry Trost in the Classical Revival style. The building itself is named after Walter Turney (1861-1939), a successful rancher, attorney and senator who, along with his wife, played a large role in El Paso's growth. The museum's galleries are located on the first floor of the former home. The building features Greek exterior columnns and stained glass windows inside.
Backstory and Context
The El Paso Museum of Art remained in the Turney House until 1998, when it moved into the remodeled former Greyhound bus building. The organization that oversaw the art museum, the El Paso Art Museum Association, wanted the Turney House to continue to be a museum. They changed their name to the International Association for the Visual Arts and gradually acquired the present collection.