Ballard Centennial Bell Tower at Marvin's Garden
Backstory and Context
The Ballard Centennial Bell Tower was erected on the site in 1976 with the original city hall's refurbished 1,000-pound brass bell in place. Its dedication ceremony was attended by King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden. The tower marks both the City Hall site and the Ballard Avenue Historic District, and is surrounded by a patio and a small park dubbed Marvin's Garden (1; 4). The park's namesake, Marvin Sjoberg (1921-1989), was a well-loved local in the community (1; 4). Though illiterate, Sjoberg earned a living selling newspapers, working odd jobs including the roles of bouncer and caretaker, and was given the title of Honorary Mayor of Ballard (5).
Historic Marker Inscriptions:
Be it remembered that at this place on the eleventh day of April, Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Six, the Ballard Avenue Landmark District was officially designed by a city ordinance signed by Wesley C. Uhlman, May or the City of Seattle and through the proclamation of his majesty, King Carl XVI Gustuf of Sweden, created in the bicentennial spirit of preserving the best of past traditions for the enlightenment of future generations.
Ballard Avenue Historic District
the provisions of the national historic preservation act of October 16, 1966,
this property possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating
American history. Placed on the national register on July 1, 1976 by the
National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior Washington State Park and
Ballard City Hall Bell
bell, a symbol of the heritage of the Ballard community, hung above the Ballard
City Hall when Ballard was an independent city and booming industrial center.
On May 30, 1907, the bell was rung to sadly announce Ballard’s annexation to
the City of Seattle and was later removed from the area. The former Ballard
City Hall was demolished in 1965 after serving the city as a precinct
The 1,000 pound brass bell has now been refurbished and returned to the Ballard community after an absence of nearly 40 years. On April 11, 1976, Sweden’s King Carl Gustaf XVI and Seattle’s mayor Wes Uhlman rang the bell to formerly announce the creation of the Ballard Avenue Historic District and the resurgence of community interest in its historic past. The bell now hangs in this monument at the corner of 22nd Avenue Northwest and Ballard Avenue, the former site of the Ballard City Hall.
Erected 1976 by National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior Washington State Park and Recreation Committee. (Marker Number 103.)