The Janesville Women's History Mural
The murals in downtown Janesville are part of the “Heart of the City Outdoor Art Campaign” which started in 2009. There are three murals in the original campaign that represent a decade each in the founding of Janesville. One additional mural was added to represent women during these years. Each mural resembles what made the community grow economically. The murals are 22 feet by 29 feet and are printed on UV-coated vinyl and wrapped around aluminum frames.
Backstory and Context
The fourth mural, located at 51 South Main Street on the side of the Rock County Courthouse building, is a poignant reminder of the contributions that the women of Rock County made and are continuing to make in the community. Painted by Ron Wick of Rockford, IL who also created the Land Mural, the painting depicts the cause of women's suffrage, a cause championed by Janesville ladies beginning in 1867, the earliest known group in Wisconsin to do so. Along with suffrage, the public library and the public hospital are also featured, reminding us that these are legacies of the ladies who campaigned and raised money for their creation. The mural was dedicated on Women's Equality Day August 26, 2010, which was the 90th anniversary of women receiving the right to vote; the mural is dedicated in honor of local leader Judi Kneece.