Currier Museum of Art
The Currier Museum of Art
The Zimmerman House
Backstory and Context
The museum was founded thanks to the bequest of New Hampshire Governor Moody Currier (1806-1898). His third wife, Hannah Slade Currier, who died in 1915, included the bequest in her will which stated that the money would be used to establish an art museum, which was originally called Currier Gallery of Art. A board of directors managed the estate and were not able to build the museum until 1928. They hired Maud Briggs Knowlton, one of the first female museum administrators in the country. The museum changed its name to the current one in 2002.
"History & Mission." Currier Museum of Art. Accessed July 27, 2016. http://www.currier.org/about/history-mission.