Draper acquired the rights to use this land prior to building the home from town founder Richard Ratcliffe for the consideration of $20. This practice was not common, but the two families were close enough to form a long-term lease for land that included the creation of a building owned by one party on land owned by the second. Draper taught many other aspiring physicians, including his nephew Charles Draper Williams who lived and studied under his uncle at his home. Charles Draper became an influential physician in New York.
Simeon Draper passed away from cholera during an 1832 epidemic that struck the area. His widow sold her husband's medical books and equipment to pay debts. She later opened the house to borders, providing weekly and long-term tenants with meals and lodging. She sold the home in 1871 to her son-in-law, William Chapman. The property was used as a boarding house and other purposes, but was not well-preserved. As a result, the property may have been demolished had it not been for the efforts of preservation-minded citizens.
Two historic markers stand on the property, which is privately owned. Many of the outbuildings on the property have become businesses.