The state of Pennsylvania bought the Cashier's House on July 17, 1963 for $30,800 ($237 thousand today). The state restored the Cashier's House, and the next-door Old Customshouse, in the late 1960s and early 1970s. On March 9, 1983, the boundary of the site was increased to include the Coach House.
The Coach House, located on East 4th Street, was built at the same time of the Old Customshouse and the Cashier's House. The house was sold to a marble dealer in 1882 and was sold, again, in 1904 to a blacksmith. The depth of the house was expanded to nearly triple the original size by the blacksmith to house heavy machinery.