Newnan-Coweta Historical Society
Constructed in 1937, the McRitchie-Hollis house is now the headquarters of the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. The society maintains a local history museum at this location that offers a variety of permanent and special thematic exhibits that change throughout the year. The organization also offers special programs related to the history of Newnan and Coweta County and the West Georgia Region. The historical society also maintains the Historic Newnan Train Depot.
Backstory and Context
Coweta County was created from Creek lands ceded in the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1825. The community of Newnan was surveyed and organized three years later. By 1840, the community held an institution of higher learning that would go on to be the first in Georgia to admit women to its Master of Arts program. The area suffered during the Civil War and its immediate aftermath, but became one of the region's centers of industry in the early 1900s.
Coweta County History. Coweta County website. Accessed January 03, 2017. http://www.coweta.ga.us/index.aspx?page=26.