The Governor’s Mansion has been the official residence of the Kentucky Governor since 1914. The historic building is also known as the People’s House. It is both a private home and public building. Built from Kentucky’s native limestone, the Beaux Arts style mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It is one of just a few executive residences in the United States that is open for public tours.
The Governor’s Mansion attracts thousands of visitors each
year. Visitors tour the state dining room, ballroom, reception room and formal
salon. Tour highlights include antique furniture and a number of valuable
artworks. The Governor’s Mansion is located on the East Lawn of the Capitol Complex.
Twenty-six governors have lived in the house. The Mansion is 18,428 square
It was designed by architects C.C. and E.A. Weber. Though it
wasn’t complete, Governor James B. McCreary was the first resident. He moved
into the mansion in January of 2014. It wasn’t until 1982 with Governor and
First Lady John Y. and Phillis Brown living in the mansion that renovation
became imperative. The First Lady spearheaded the fundraising efforts and included
historians in on the project. It took about a year and was completed in 1983.
In 2007 another renovation was needed. This time is was
Governor Ernie Fletcher and First Lady Glenna Fletcher. Once again it was the
First Lady who took over preservation and restoration efforts. Nearly all of
the interior was upgraded including new windows, doors, heating and cooling,
hardwood restored, new painting and new upholstery. The rear terrace was also
completely remodeled at this time.