As the church grew to over 200 members, the membership determined to begin a second congregation under the leadership of Reverend W.P.T. Jones in 1891. This was the beginning of Denver's Central Baptist Church. Denver's black community continued to grow in the 1890s and early 1900s, allowing Central to secure their own house of worship while Zion grew to 400 members and needed a larger facility. In 1911, members of Zion acquired this building from Cavalry Baptist.
Rev. Wendell Liggins led the congregation through the Civil Rights Movement, in partnership with Reverend Jesse Langston Boyd Jr. of Shorter Community African American Methodist Episcopal Church.