The Fire Museum of Houston is located in the former Station #7, the city's oldest station and one that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The museum offers static displays of fire apparatus such as a 1912 engine and horse-drawn equipment. There are also historic displays and articles that offer a short history of each fire station from the Greater Houston area and exhibits dedicated to the history of firefighting and fire safety.
The station was built in 1898 in the Romanesque Revival style. It was the first station in Houston whose firefighters where paid a salary. It remained in use as a fire station until a new one was built in 1969. The city declared that it would become a museum in 1977 however restoration efforts did not begin until 1980.