Memorial to William Harris Crawford
This monument was dedicated by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1929 in honor of former governor and statesman William Harris Crawford. Crawford rose from humble circumstances to become an early lawyer and politician representing Georgia in the US Senate from 1807 to 1813. He was later appointed by President Madison as the ambassador to France following the War of 1812. He ran for President in 1824 and later returned to Oglethorpe County where he served as a judge before passing away in 1834. His grave is located in a family cemetery in Crawford.
Backstory and Context
Crawford's local popularity and service in the Senate led to his becoming one of the leading candidates for the Presidency in 1824. Due to ailing health, his influential career in politics was cut short and he returned to Oglethorpe County where he served as a judge until his death in 1834.