Murphy Smith Bungalow - Laguna Beach Historical Society
Built in 1923, this small beach house is now home to the Laguna Beach Historical Society. The Society has restored the home and decorated it wit period furniture to match the way it would have looked in the 1920s when this area experienced a population boom. The home is also full of artifacts and exhibits that tell the story of Laguna Beach from the early 20th century to the present. The Society welcomes visitors and residents to stop by the bungalow for tours and conversations with docents.
Backstory and Context
The bungalow is named in honor of the Murphy family who were the original owners as well as Blanch Clapp Smith, who lived in the home until her death in 1991. The property is owned by Wells Fargo Bank and leased to the historical society at a rate of $1 per year. In addition to the support of the bank, the historical society is maintained by a community of volunteers who share a commitment to supporting local history in Laguna Beach.
Laguna Beach Historical Society website, accessed 7/5/2016 http://www.lagunabeachhistory.org/