Fort Bragg Visitors Center
Located outside the main gate of Fort Bragg, this is the point of entry for visitors to Fort Bragg's museums. Fort Bragg was first established in 1918 as Camp Bragg, named after North Carolina-native General Braxton Bragg of the Confederate Army. The location for the post was chosen as it provided the optimal environment conducive to military training at the time. Fort Bragg is the home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces and includes the XVIII Airborne Corps, the 82nd Airborne Division, FORSCOM, and various Special Operations Commands and units. The fort is also home to several museums and other attractions that can be viewed by civilians with advance notice and a security screening. Like all active military installations, admission is limited to personnel who have a valid reason to be on the installation which includes civilians for special events and historical tours in coordination with security forces.
Backstory and Context
During WWI, Camp Bragg was used as a base for artillery training. After the war, the need for the base decreased, so in 1921 it was chosen to be abandoned. However, Fayetteville and the surrounding communities rallied together and the order was reversed by August of that year.
In 1942 the Army established the Airborne Command at Fort Bragg. Along with this new command the 82nd Airborne Division and the 101st Airborne Division arrived at Fort Bragg. Soon Camp Mackall was under construction to facilitate in the new Airborne operations occurring, as well as to accommodate all five Airborne Divisions by the end of the war. Upon returning from WWII the 82nd was permanently assigned to Fort Bragg, where it remains today as America’s Strategic Response Force.