Constructed as a fort by American settlers in 1794, Tellico Blockhouse was garrisoned by US troops until 1807. This site is most significant as the location where several treaties between the Cherokee and the United States were signed. These treaties included many promises to the Cherokee in exchange for their willingness to acquiesce to the land claims of the United States over millions of acres in Georgia and Tennessee. The site includes a recreation of the small garrison and includes interpretive signs related to the relations between the early settlers and the United States Government with the Cherokee Nation.
Backstory and Context
The second and third Treaty of Tellico, signed in 1797 and 1805, likewise included the acquisition of Cherokee land in exchange for money and certain promises. The third treaty acquired lands between the Cumberland and Duck rivers with the northern boundary of Fort Nash and southern boundary of the Tennessee River.