Darlington County Historical Commission
The Darlington County Historical Commisison
Historical Marker for the 1937 Darlington County Jail, Houses the Darlington County Historical Commission.
Backstory and Context
The Darlington County Historical Commission was created by an Act of Legislature on June 18, 1965 to procure the historical records relating to the county; to care have care and custody of the archives of the county; and to mark historical sites. The Commission’s holdings of historical material had grown to such an extent by 1984 that its quarters were placed in the old County Jail building, renovated for its use. This building is located in downtown Darlington, just off the Court House Square at 204 Hewitt Street.
The Commission’s holdings are limited to Darlington County related materials only, and include: official county and municipal records; church and school records and histories; business and industrial records; records of clubs and societies; compiled land records (correspondence, maps and plats); family records (correspondence, journals, diaries, etc.); photographs and newspapers. The Commission solicits the donation of historical material relating to Darlington County.