Work began in 1923, and the first Mass took place on May 29, 1924. The Chapel of Mary, Mother of the Human Race, was dedicated in 1955 by
Portland Archbishop Edward D. Howard. The chapel was designed by L. L.
Dougan of Dougan & Heims, Architects. In 1983 the shrine was designated a National Sanctuary.
Today, The Grotto attracts millions of visitors from all over the world. It has more than 100 statues and shrines. It has flower-lined pathways, towering fir trees, ponds and cliffside vistas.